Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:20:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxim Konovalov <maxim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sendfile(2) is broken (Was: ftpd problem: Input/output error)

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Maxim Konovalov wrote:

> This is sendfile(2) mis-behaviour arised after rev.1.109
> sys/kern/uipc_syscalls.c but I think the real problem in vn_rdwr(),
> sys/kern/vfs_vnops.c. Here is my patch but I really need somebody with
> vfs clue. I CC'ed Robert Watson as an author of sendfile(2)
> modification and our vfs expert.

Semen Ustimenko <semenu@FreeBSD.org> ran into a similar problem, but his
fix was to teach sendfile() to pass in a non-NULL resid and handle the
failure mode better.  I suspect this fix is more correct since it will
both handle the failure mode and the data delivered, and probably is
required for other consumers of vn_rdwr().  He was going to run the patch
past dg, and then commit it assuming dg approved it, so hopefully it will
go into the tree in the next day or so.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories