Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 12:00:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/6557: /bin/sh is broken

The following reply was made to PR bin/6557; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To: Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org,
        dima@best.net
Cc: Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>,
        "Greg A. Woods" <woods@zeus.leitch.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 14:48:17 -0400

 At 12:15 PM +0200 9/10/98, Martin Cracauer wrote:
 > 2) The construct autoconf is falling over is very simple to
 >    replace with one extra variable assignment

 It could also be fixed if autoconf was changed from doing:
    for ckpath in $PATH:dir1:dir1 ; do
    for ckpath in $PATH dir1 dir2 ; do

 My question is, has anyone brought this up with the autoconf
 guys?  It is inconceivable that the above change would cause
 any script on any platform to break, and it is no additional
 overhead.  Should I point that out to the autoconf guys, or
 have other people already talked to them only to find out
 that they not interested?

 I have no strong feelings on how IFS itself is processed, or
 how it should be processed.  I'd just like autoconf scripts
 to work...

 > Said that, Thor Egge commited some syntax fixes to sh a few
 > days ago. He did not change the basic IFS behaviour, but
 > fixed some real bugs related to list handling. It is possible
 > that the code you have problems with is affected by this.

 I doubt it, but at least this gives me a chance to point
 people at the bug-reproducing script that I wrote last
 night (*before* checking gnats, sigh...).  My only freebsd-
 current system is in a "production mode" status now, so I
 wouldn't want to be making changes on that.  However, the
 following script will demonstrate the bug:

    ftp://eclipse.its.rpi.edu/pub/fbsd/bugs/ifs_bug.sh

 the script works on all unix's I have access to, except
 for freebsd-stable and freebsd-current.  It's a minimal
 version of what autoconf likes to do, so if this script
 worked then the autofconf issues would be gone.  All you
 have to do is run it (on any unix platform), and the
 output should be pretty self-explanatory (although you
 would want to read the script first, just on general
 principles :-)

 ---
 Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute