Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:54:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        jamie@itribe.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP PCI modem

> > So, does this mean motherboards with a decent number of PCI slots will
> > start appearing?
>
> I wouldn't count on it - I think it's more likely that you'll see more
> USB equipment.
>
> AFAIK it's rather difficult electrically to have more than five slots in
> one PCI bus. Thus if you need more, you'll need a system with more than
> one system bus to PCI bridge. Thus higher cost, lower volume.

This is a current issue, and is related to the chipset.

Apple has a good PCI chipset, as does DEC; I believe both support
6 slots without a bridge because they have seperate lines for 6
slots.  The Intel chips tend to have only 4 lines; some motherboard
manufacturers double up one of the lines to get 5 slots.  I suspect
you could double up some of the lines on the DEC chip; don't know
about the Apple.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---