Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 1997 16:17:34 -0400
From:      Dayton Clark <dayton@sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dayton@eastham.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu
Subject:   Laptop installation

Folks,

I beefed up my Toshiba 4600 with a bigger disk, more memory, and an
ethernet card, largely so I can run FreeBSD (which I have on several
desktop machines and have used for years, thank you).  But I can't get
it installed :-(  I've tried installing both 2.1.6 and 2.2.1.  Here are
the problems I've encountered:

  1) Before reading the fine print I purchased a 3COM 3C589D which
is         not (yet) supported.  My understanding is that it canbe made
to 		     work if one configures the kernel properly (correct?).  So
I             decided I'll fix this after the installation.

  2)  Okay, I'll install it over the parallel port with ppp.  Alas,
when       pppd went to open the parallel port (on the desktop unit) it
found       it busy.  This happened on two different machines (each
running          2.1.6).  I could not find a problem, I can print
through the ports       fine.

  3)  Okay, there is still the serial port.  I've tried speeds
from            38400 to 4800 on a direct link to a FreeBSD machine
(2.1.6) (ppp         is the protocol) and the link dies after some small
portion of the       bin distribution is installed.

I'm getting desparate.  Suggestions?

  a)  Get a supported ethernet card, I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

  b)  Can I get the 3C589D to work?

  c)  Why can't I get lp0 to work?

  d)  Can I make ppp over the serial line more robust or have
it               reconnect automatically?

thanks for any suggestions.
dayton

--
 Dayton Clark