Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 1999 00:44:21 -0400
From:      Walt Roberts <wroberts@med.wayne.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TCP/IP thin Enet and Micros**T Win98

I am very sorry to trouble this list with this problem, but I'm at
Witt's End.  We have a single MS-Win98 system for doing things the hard
way, mainly due to the software investment.  This system was running
Win95 until it crashed, burned and was salvaged by installing Win98.
Data is back, life is almost good.  We can't go back to 95 due to
corrupt registries and other bad things.

Problem:
We need to talk to the FreeBSD 2.2.2 systems on the thin ethernet.
Win98 took this away from us.  (We have a work around -- dial in and use
sz/rz, or ppp -direct but this is hokey and it's tying up phone lines).

FreeBSD box is properly configured and is assigned pvt address
192.168.1.1, no DNS or other stuff to get in the way.  Besides, its run
for over 200 days without a glitch 24/7 no reboots and it talks to
others (VAX/VMS -- yup we still use it).

Win98 box is Via 503+/AMDk6/65 Mb mem. SMC EZcard 10 with SMC drivers
(and who knows what other stuff MS shoved down its throat.)

1. If I ping the PC (192.168.1.100/mask 255.255.255.0) it talks to
itself.
2.  SMC drivers and debugers say the card works and is happy.
3.  If I ping the FreeBSD box, I get request timeout.
4.  If I ping the PC from the FreeBSD box, it reports 100% packet loss.
5.  SMC doesn't supply a UNIX program to test transnetwork operations,
and I don't have/don't want to make another windows box to try their
stuff, besides it worked before and the appropriate lights light up on
the cards at ping time.

If anybody can point me in the right direction, since Microsoft's stock
response is call your vendor and their response is call Microsoft, I
would greatly appreciate it.

Walt Roberts
wroberts@med.wayne.edu