Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:00:13 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: system files and version control

* Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> [20001103 02:19]:
=>Archit P Shah <ashah@MIT.EDU> types:
=>> 1) Are there good reasons to not put system files (/etc/passwd, /etc/group,...)
=>> under version control? It seems like it would be useful to be able to see the
=>> changes over time. (Not as a security measure, but as a way of doing sanity
=>>  checks).
=>
=>I certainly hope not - I keep a lot of them under version control!
=>/etc/password wasn't one of them, because it tends to be edited by
=>tools, not users. But lots of others (/etc/*.conf, /etc/fstab, kernel
=>config files, qmail control files, and so on) are there, and it makes
=>a *lot* of sense to do that.

Sorry guys but i am abit lost on this version control issue. Where do i
get more info?

Thanks

=>
=>> 2) If there are no good reasons to avoid putting system files user version
=>> control, does it make sense to build that into the distribution? (as an
=>> option)
=>
=>It already is, and not as an option. RCS is part of the base system,
=>though it doesn't look like much work is being done to maintain it
=>(the GNU version is used pretty much as is). There are a number of
=>tools for working with (and installing) cvs in ports/net and
=>ports/devel. I use Perforce instead of CVS, and that can be installed
=>from the ports as well.
=>
=>	<mike
=>
=>
=>To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
=>with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke 5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Absence from whom we love is worse than death, and frustrates hope severer
than despair. -William Cowper