Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:05:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netgraph bridging: what is LOCAL_IFACE?

The bridging code connects to the lower (i.e. WIRE) part of each interface
mentionned an dintercepts all packets coming in.

If you want any of these packets to also be passed to the local machine
you should select one of the local interfaces (any will do) and add it in
the LOCAL_INTERFACE entry. This entry specifies to the bridging code that
the upper (i.e. KERNEL side) of that interface should also be added to the
list of recipients of the packets being worked on.

If you do not do this, the interfaces are linked to each other by the
bridging code, but the local machine is not party to the traffic. No copy
of the packets is sent up to it.. (this is a vaild configuration...)