Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2000 17:03:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Richard Wendland <richard@netcraft.com>
Cc:        Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD random I/O performance issues

    I've committed an 80% fix for the random seek / write
    performance issue.  The rest of the fix will come later
    when Kirk commits his shared-lock-buffer-cache idea.

    I've committed it into -current and will MFC it into
    -stable in a week if there aren't any problems.  I
    do not intend to MFC it into 3.x.

    This should solve most of the random-I/O latency issues
    with read-after-write on buffers.  Basically what
    had to be done was to continue to call the clustering
    code as before (so reallocblks still gets called), but
    only issue write_behind I/O if the writes are
    generally sequential.  If the writes are random, even
    big writes, we do not issue write-behind I/O.

				    -Matt