Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:39:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      james <jamesp@hisser.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   LVM / Vinum

Hi

I'm new to FreeBSD but not new to UNIX or storage. First of all I must say
that FreeBSD looks rather polished, more like a commercial offering than
a volunteer effort! :)

I'm very used to using LVM on Linux, AIX, HP/UX etc, and I want to be able
to similar stuff on fbsd. I've had a play with Vinum, and I'm just
wondering if there are any other alternatives?

I like the LVM way of having a pool of physical volumes, and having the
LVM subsystem take care of physical placement of logical volumes. In
Vimun, it seems to me that you have to explicitly state what disks you
would like to use for a volume.

Also, is it possible to extend / shrink volumes once they have been
created?

Cheers,

James