Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2011 08:20:14 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>
To:        Jesse Smith <jessefrgsmith@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Prebind from OpenBSD

--xesSdrSSBC0PokLI

On 2011-Mar-27 20:54:18 +0100, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>part of rc.d.  I'd also investigate large applications like Firefox, Chrom=
e,=20
>KDE, Gnome, etc.  KDE already integrates prebinding tricks in its design, =
but=20
>I don't think the others do.

Improving startup time for large, infrequently started executables will
enhance the user experience but not do a great deal for overall system
performance.  (And note that things like OOo, emacs and browsers have
significant amounts of code in embedded scripting languages and it's
unlikely that pre-binding will help much there).

I suspect a bigger overall win would be gained by speeding up small
but very frequently started executables - /bin/sh is the most obvious
candidate here, though there are probably other candidates in /bin
and /usr/bin.  In this case, you need to measure how frequenctly it
is started as well as the per-startup savings.  For some of these
executables, it's easy to get a reasonably accurate estimate of the
potential pre-binding savings by comparing the speed of the existing
dynamically-linked executable in /bin with the same statically-linked
executable in /rescue.

One thing that I'm not sure if you've take into account is process-
initiated library loading (using dlopen(3) and friends).  Note that
even /bin/sh can do this through things like locale handling.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--xesSdrSSBC0PokLI

--xesSdrSSBC0PokLI--