Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2007 01:33:21 +0200
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting the CPU frequency in C

On Monday 10 September 2007 00:52:08 Martin Tournoij wrote:

> Thought you could only fetch the sysctl values defined in sys/sysctl.h
> with sysctl()/sysctlbyname(), apparently not...

No, I believe those are guaranteed to be available (more to the point: made
available through /boot/kernel/kernel). Kernel modules (and as such drivers)
can also expose their settings via sysctl and since they can be loaded
dynamically and don't have to be part of the base src tree, sys/sysctl.h
doesn't know about them. For example:
sysctl vfs.fuse.fuse4bsd_version
vfs.fuse.fuse4bsd_version: 0.3.9-pre1

which is /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-kmod.

--
Mel