Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:45:51 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        KOJIMA Hajime <kjm@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Base system gcc patch (Re: FYI: Propolice for gcc-2.95.2)

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

This was trivial to get working on FreeBSD, but here is a patch
against the system gcc in 4.x which will compile a ProPolice-enabled
version, so FreeBSD users can start easily making use of this. The
patch is the same for 5.x users except you will need to replace
"contrib/gcc" with "contrib/gcc.295" in the diff.

http://www.freebsd.org/~kris/protector.patch

Once you have done a buildworld and installed the new compiler, you
can start playing with adding "-fstack-protector" into CFLAGS and
e.g. build a new world. I haven't actually tested the results of this
yet, so don't do that on your production systems yet ;-)

It does seem to work, however:

mollari# /tmp/smash AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
main: stack smashing attack? Segmentation fault (core dumped)

(gdb) bt
#0  0x8048726 in __stack_smash_handler ()
#1  0x8048665 in main ()
#2  0x41414141 in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x41414141.

:-)

The one suggestion I have at this stage is to make
_stack_smash_handler syslog() the error so there is a system record of
the potential attack. There may be a reason that isn't feasible,
however.

Nice work!

Kris

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 11:52:38AM +0900, KOJIMA Hajime wrote:
>   FYI: "Propolice", GCC extension for protecting applications from
>   stack-smashing attacks, for gcc-2.95.2 is now available.
>  =20
> <http://www.trl.ibm.co.jp/projects/security/ssp/>;
>=20
> ----
> KOJIMA Hajime - Ryukoku University, Seta, Ootsu, Shiga, 520-2194 Japan
> [Office] kjm@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp, http://www.st.ryukoku.ac.jp/~kjm/
>=20
>=20

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm