Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 2021 23:59:38 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>, John Jasen <jjasen@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Navdeep Parhar <navdeep@chelsio.com>
Subject:   Re: Chelsio cards, jumbo frames, memory fragmentation and performance in FreeBSD 13.x?

Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com> wrote:=0A=
>=0A=
> Set it to 4k and move on.  I'm not aware of any efforts in the VM=0A=
> layer or network stack to make >PAGE_SIZE clusters usable in practical=0A=
> situations.  Honestly, at this point I wish that we'd just kill them=0A=
> entirely.=0A=
I feel about the same. However, I'm guessing that there are some net=0A=
drivers that can't work without them (at least for jumbo frames) and=0A=
no one available to fix those drivers.=0A=
=0A=
At the least, we should strongly encourage net device driver authors=0A=
to avoid their use wherever practicable.=0A=
=0A=
I also think that "don't use them" should be the default for device=0A=
drivers that can optionally not use them.=0A=
=0A=
I'll admit I cannot think of a good way to fix jumbo clusters, so avoiding=
=0A=
them is about all we can do, I think?=0A=
- Separate allocation pools would avoid the fragmentation problem,=0A=
  but waste a lot of space unless the mix of cluster sizes needed for the=
=0A=
  network load on the machine was somehow known.=0A=
=0A=
rick=0A=
=0A=
On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 12:52 PM John Jasen <jjasen@gmail.com> wrote:=0A=
>=0A=
> Pretty close to two years ago, we tripped across conditions where heavily=
=0A=
> used FreeBSD 11.x packet-filter firewalls would slow to a crawl and load=
=0A=
> would go crazy.=0A=
>=0A=
> In a fit of hopefulness with our upgrade to FreeBSD 13.0, I removed the=
=0A=
> hw.cxgbe.largest_rx_cluster settings we put in place -- only to have our=
=0A=
> hardest hit firewall experience high load and plummeting bandwidth within=
 a=0A=
> few hours.=0A=
>=0A=
> So, I have two questions -- is there a better fix for this? Or, is the=0A=
> approach to set largest_rx_cluster to 4k and move on?=0A=
>=0A=
> Thanks in advance!=0A=
=0A=