Date:      Thu, 17 May 2012 10:42:08 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik@gmail.com>, tzabal@it.teithe.gr
Subject:   Re: GSoC Project: Automated Kernel Crash Reporting System - Discussion

On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:00:33 am Mateusz Guzik wrote:
> Are you going to support textdumps?
>
> I would like to note that some machines have swap space only for
> textdumps, so I think you should support these.
>
> ddb is equiped with a lot of cool commands that show various important
> debugging information(e.g. show alllocks). AFAIK kgdb doesn't have such
> facilities so you will have to implement those first if you decide to
> use it (btw I think these would be useful even without this project).
> Take a look at tools/debugscripts.
>
> That being said, I would give a priority to support for textdumps (and
> in case kgdb support cannot be finished in time, I would make sure that
> the project is expendable enough to support information obtained from
> kgdb and possibly other sources).

Note that it is not hard to support these in kgdb.  I have gdb scripts that
already provide equivalents to 'show lockchain' and many other commands.

However, the problem with textdumps (which are still worth reporting), is
that for hard bugs a developer often wants to ask the submitter for
specific information, and won't know what to ask for until looking at the
general information.  There simply isn't a way to grab all the possible
information up front in textdumps.

--
John Baldwin