Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 20:08:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, tlambert@primenet.com, street@iname.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates panics

> > > Return error.  noatime request a particular behaviour for the mount;
> > > ignoring that request on the assumption that people only do it for
> > > speed is IMO totally bogus.
> >
> > I've gotta agree here - softupdates looked good for my palmtop that uses
> > flash - noatime is essentially required for flash media. :)
>
> Why?

Flash is a "Read as much as you want, write as little as possible" media.
Even though there are flash chips coming out now with 1,000,000 write
cycles, none of that has made it to consumer markets yet.

The flash in my palmtop is rated at 50,000 write cycles on each bit. I don't
want to get my directories hosed from bitrot from every time I access a file
the atime is changed.

> > But is that what terry was saying? :)
>
> I was saying that you should ignore the flag.
>
> Elvind corrected me (I agree with him) that it's not enough to
> ignore it, you need to actually barf on the flag.

Agreed.

Kevin