Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:58:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   How much do we need the all-singing, all-dancing devfs?

It occurred to me that for at least what *I'm* interested in devfs for,
that I may not actually need it.

The portion I've always been interested in has been the location of unlabelled
mass storage- disks. They can be known via VPD info (drive serial numbers) or
via WWN (world wide names). Their physical bus 'address', particularly for
Fibre Channel can change a lot, so the probe order in which they're seen
causes them to show as differnt da units. We can guarantee that this won't
change until a reboot (modulo the 'pack invalidation' issue- which is a
separate issue).

Given this, it's really a name translation issue to find out which da instance
is which World Wide Name so and so. For example, I have:

isp2: Target 0 (Loop 0x0) Port ID 0xef role Target arrived
 Port WWN 0x21000020370752ba
 Node WWN 0x20000020370752ba

Which then probes as:

pass9 at isp2 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
pass9: <SEAGATE ST19171FCSUN9.0G 1778> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
pass9: Serial Number LAE84063
pass9: 100.000MB/s transfers, Tagged Queueing Enabled
da6 at isp2 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da6: <SEAGATE ST19171FCSUN9.0G 1778> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da6: Serial Number LAE84063
da6: 100.000MB/s transfers, Tagged Queueing Enabled
da6: 8637MB (17689267 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1101C)

It wouldn't be much extra work to be able to pass the WWN info up through CAM,
so that, e.g., libcam, could fetch it.

As a taste test, how would modifying mount to understand WWNs && serial
numbers and do the appropriate translation to get the current 'da' instance
number feel for people? This way, you might have something like

fcwwn@0x21000020370752ba,0	/	ufs	rw	1	1

or

scsidsn@"LAE84063",0		/space	ufs	rw	0	0

[ the trailing ',X' is a lun qualifier ]

This way, we can really do SAN stuff *without* a full blown devfs.

Thoughts?

-matt