Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 23:52:47 +0000
From:      "Weston M. Price" <wmprice@direcway.com>
To:        "Randy Oong" <oess30@mail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade

Randy,

I recently switched to FreeBSD about three weeks ago and I went through t=
he=20
same thing. Now, this is what I did, so it might not be entirely applicab=
le=20
but some of it might help.=20

I installed the minimum amount of software to get the system up and runni=
ng.=20
The installation procedure actually has an option for this. After that I=20
started looking through the ports collection to see what I really wanted =
on=20
th system.=20

The ports and packages collection is explained in the handbook. If you do=
n't=20
have a printed copy, it is also on the website. The reason I did the mini=
mum=20
install was so I could learn to use ports and packages and "build" a syst=
em=20
as I went along.=20

To upgrade the operating system itself is surprisingly simple. The basic =
idea=20
is=20

a) install CVSup (there is tons of stuff about CVSUp in the handbook)

b) pull down the latest source tree (stable is probably what you want, th=
is=20
will get you up to 4.7-PRERELEASE.=20

c) build the OS following the instructions in the handbook
d) build a custom kernel to suit your hardware and preferences
e) install the new kernel=20
f)  test the new kernel
g) install the new source build

There are other ways to do this as well most notably CTM. However, if you=
 have=20
a decent Internet connection I would go with the above plan.=20

Like I said I would STRONGLY, STRONGLY recommend reading the handbook bef=
ore=20
doing anything. Of course, this list is an excellent resource for questio=
ns.=20
I would also recommend subscribing to some of the other lists, most notab=
ly=20
the freebsd-stable@freebsd.org. This list has excellent information regar=
ding=20
the current state of the code.=20

I will say that I am pleased with the system so far. FreeBSD is much more=
=20
flexible than Linux and better organized.=20

Regards,=20
Weston