Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 00:52:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        rknebel@uplink.net (Rick Knebel)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp and telnet

Rick Knebel wrote,
> Hi,
>
> I don,t know if this makes sense but here goes.
> I have my freebsd machine 3.1 set up as a server for a home network.
> I have a static IP address and previously on other installs had no problems
> telneting and ftping into my machine.
>
> Now here is where it gets weird.
>
> I can ftp into it fine.
> If I then telnet into it and try to go back and ftp again it will not
> connect though I can continue to reconnect with telnet.
>
> Does this make sense to anyone.

Ummm... not really. Let me try to get this straight,

1) You CAN ftp back into your machine as the same user.
   Question: What are you using to address your machine, hostname, IP
   address, or loopback address?

2) You CAN telnet into your machine as the same user.
   Question: (same as 1.)

3) Once you have telneted in, you CANNOT ftp into your machine from
   the telnet session. You CAN continue to telnet 'recursively.'
   Question: (same as 1.) How _exactly_ is it failing? Hostname lookup
   failure? Apparently hanging? Will not accept username/password?

> I also cannot ping my hostname from outside without enabling the routing
> dameon in the rc.config.

Provided you do not have some unusual setup, most of the time you can
get by with one IP address and netmask just fine. No additional routing
is needed. This is typical. (You don't mention what your connection
is. PPP? NIC?)

> I would be happy to supply any more inf if anyone has any ideas.

Great, the above should help.