Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:19:56 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@FreeBSD.or.ke>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Changing Groups

Hello team,

I have a box running FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE with 5K plus users. Each user was
created on this system with their own group, as in user freebsd belongs to
group freebsd and user linux belongs to the group linux..poooh!!

I inherited this box but I sincerely hate this idea of having my
/etc/group grow as I add users. I want to have only a few groups:

staff - for company staff
users - all other users

This way I can also be able to enforce quotas on the system.

I am now looking at a way of changing each user's group to 'users'. Since
staff users are only a handful, I can take care of that manually since I
know each other byname.

I could think harder to get this done - remove the thousands of groups
from /etc/group and even run a small script that would do recursive chown
user:$group in /home but when it comes to the master passwd file I am
thoroughly stumped!
Just so that I do not re-invent the wheel, could it be possible someone
out there has gone thro' this and may be willing to share their scripts
with me.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

A recent study has found that concentrating on difficult off-screen objects,
such as the faces of loved ones, causes eye strain in computer scientists.
Researchers into the phenomenon cite the added concentration needed to "make
sense" of such unnatural three dimensional objects.