Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 00:09:28 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Amazing wonder packet Part 2.

There was an earlier post that covered this which I think you haven't read
or haven't understood.

Assuming that  the default policy is to deny all and assuming  that rules
are added in numerical order, the result of any rule being missing can
only be to deny the packet, which should be safe for most purposes.

In most cases there's no problem for your solution.

I considered building a wrapper for ipfw to simplify firewall
specification and allow for some automated dynamic manipulation of the
rule table.  If you are doing something like this then it might mean that
it was easier to do as you suggest than to guarantee that rules be added
in numerical order.  Probably ipfw is not the building block you'd choose
though.

Andrew McNaughton