Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 19:58:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Versioning bsd.port.mk

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Bill Fenner wrote:

> update-required-bsd.port.mk-version:
> 	mv Makefile Makefile.bak
> 	sed -e "s/NEED_MK_VERSION=.*/NEED_MK_VERSION=	${BSD_PORT_MK_VERSION}/" < Makefile.bak > Makefile

Yuck.  Please, no.

I like the method you outline in another message.  Store the
required version in a file, and make that file depend on the
port Makefile.

But, please don't put the MK_VER_REQ file in files/, put in pkg/
with all of everything else.  We already have pkg/MD5 which is
totally irrelavent to packaging, so this will fit in just finely. :)

> Or, the bsd.port.mk version requirement could be stored in a file in the
> files/ directory --

Use the pkg/ directory.

>                      I like this one less, since the Makefile is generally
> the thing that creates the requirement for a certain version, but it's
> certainly easier to maintain without worrying about spamming the Makefile
> when trying to automatically update it.

I think the last thing anyone wants is more maintainance hassles.
Putting the version requirement in a pkg/file doesn't strike me
as terribly ugly, but throwing a variable into the port Makefile
which has nothing to do with the port itself does strike me as
ugly.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk