Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:43:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        proff@suburbia.net, imp@village.org, alla@sovlink.ru, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Syslog alternatives?

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Darren Reed wrote:

> In some mail from Robert Watson, sie said:
> [...]
> > I still lean towards a combination of existing securelevel code, and a
> > protected process flag indicating that the process may not be intefered
> > with by unauthorized userland code (i.e., no debugging, signaling, etc).
>
> That can be used to solve a suite of different problems.  Interesting idea,
> none the less.

I've been meaning to implement this for a long time, as I've needed it for
auditing stuff, as well as a number of other projects.  I wonder if it
would be appropriate to work on a more general policy, such as requiring
processes to flag themselves as accessible from higher securelevels before
they are.  There might be some race conditions involving forks and pipes,
however...

  Robert N M Watson

TIS Labs at Network Associates, Computing Laboratory at Cambridge University
Safeport Network Services