Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:36:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tim Clewlow <tim1timau@yahoo.com>
To:        "Govindarajan, Sing" <Sing.Govindarajan@us.fujitsu.com>, freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I have question about Freebsd-database

--- "Govindarajan, Sing" <Sing.Govindarajan@us.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> I am trying to find some information about Freebsd.
>
> is it a database or operating system?
> I see lot of documents for operating system, but I don't see any document for
> freebsd database.
>
> If there is database named freebsd , please provide more details.
>
> I would appreaciate any help in this regard.
>
> Thanks
>
> -Sing

Hello Sing,

FreeBSD is a Unix styled operating system. It also has many database
applications available for installation. FreeBSD is often used to run databases
because it is very fast, arguably the fastest operating system freely
available. Many large web sites and datacenters use FreeBSD as their operating
system.

If you want to run FreeBSD then I suggest you get another computer, it doesnt
have to be an expensive one, a cheap second hand computer will do to start
with, and then install FreeBSD on to it.

All the installation instructions, and much more information can be found on
the FreeBSD website, http://www.freebsd.org/ in particular go to the
'Documentation' and then read the 'Handbook'
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
It is very important that you read all this information first.

After you have done this, if you have more questions then the best place to ask
is on the freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list. This database list is
really for questions about specific database applications.

Kind Regards, Tim.