Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:36:27 -0800
From:      steve@Watt.COM (Steve Watt)
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   /usr/ports symlink disappears

Greetings,

I like to have my /usr/ports stuff on a different filesystem than /usr,
but I'd rather not dedicate a whole partition to ports.  What I've been
doing is ln -s /local/ports /usr, but I just got bitten by that.
Actually, I got bitten some time ago, during a cvsup.  It appears
that cvsup doesn't care for having /usr/ports a symlink, and blows it
away and re-checks out everything.  Which, if one isn't paying attention
leads to two copies of the ports tree, and a number of other ugly
side-effects.

Any tips on how to make it stop doing that?  If it weren't for the
various warnings on mount_null, I'd do that.

Thanks!

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                         Whois: SW32