Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:26:17 +0200
From:      Peter van Heusden <pvh@schoolnet.org.za>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding support for Duxbury PCI modem to FreeBSD 4.4

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 09:35:58AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <9DCF7A9E7AD27A4F962A37F7E78607B10CFAEC@ukhokho.ct.schoolnet.org.za> "Peter van Heusden" writes:
> : I noticed that PCI modems are detected in /sys/isa/sio.c. I added the
> : chip
> : id of the modem to the list of PCI devices (pci_ids), and now
> : sio_pci_probe detects the modem, but the sioprobe() fails. Before I got
> : digging into the sioprobe code (which seems rather complex), I'd like to
> : verify that my pci_ids entry is correct.
> :
> : One thing I don't understand is the rid field of the pci_id structure.
> : Some modems have this set to 0x10, others to 0x14. I'm not sure what to
> : set it
> : to - how do I determine this?
>
> look for the I/o space bar.  this will be the the ones in the range
> 0x10-0x24 that are odd (as in bit 0 is set).  note, bars are 4 bytes
> long (except for some 64 bit cards, but you can safely ignore that).
>
> Alternatively,
> 	pciconf -r pciX:Y:Z 0x10:0x2f
> and post it to the list.

Thanks, Warner, but on further investigation, I discovered that the
Duxbury modem is actually a re-branded Motorola SM56 - i.e. a
WinModem. No wonder it doesn't work. Aaarrgh!

I'm having a look at the Linux 2.4 kernel code, since they apparently
have winmodem support (including for the SM56 chipset, which is now
no longer supported by Motorola - double Aaaargh!), but will probably
have to go with an external modem, since it seems to be impossible to
get internal PCI non-winmodems.

Peter