Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 17:24:08 -0500
From:      moto@CS.cmu.edu
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
Cc:        TOTO@ifqsc.sc.usp.br, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Problems with 2940 and 950210snap

Hi,

>> If I try to backup something to the DAT, mainly from the scsi disk,
>> the system panics randomly after a few megabytes (it lasts much
>> longer when data comes from the IDEs disks but it also panics..)

 > I am not sure this will help you, but I have a Adaptec 1542 and a
 > Sony DAT.  FreeBSD 2.x is a lot more picky about DAT use than
 > FreeBSD 1.x, namely it does not like extremely large
 > blocksizes. The problems I had were in reading a tape with dd or
 > restore that was created with large blocksizes causes the system to
 > panic. tar is a little more stable. try:

 > /sbin/dump 0usdf 3940 61000 /dev/nrst0 /dev/rsd0a

I have a similar symptom with Exabyte 8205. Is there any way on
FreeBSD 2.0 to restore from a tape created by 'dump 0uBf 2033646
/dev/rst0 /dev/sd0a' on FreeBSD 1.x? My 1.7G hard drive crashed and I
deseprately need to restore it. Thanks!

Motonori Shindou       Carnegie Mellon University       SCS Graduate Student
              e-mail: moto@cs.cmu.edu,  NiftyServe: GEG04056
WWW: http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001:/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/moto/WWW/moto-home.html
                   TEL: 412-362-9636   FAX: 412-362-9634