Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 19:16:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Hari Bhaskaran <subscr@spider.netmails.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Recommended backup solution for a 1U rackmount

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Hari Bhaskaran wrote:

> I am trying to find a reasonable backup (hardware)
> solution for a 1U rack-mount machine. I couldn't find
> any slim tape drives (that are not SCSI). Here are my
> options. Can anyone give more info whether these are
> feasible?
>
> 1. Buy an external hard-disk (20+ GB or so). Do USB
>    external storage work on FreeBSD? Plus I should
>    be able to connect and disconnect without reboot.

This is what I do (currently using 160Gb Maxtor drives).  Firewire seems
to be better than USB at present, both in performance and stability.  USB1
performance is always going to be relatively limited, USB2 might be OK
when FreeBSD support catches up.  Meantime, Firewire cards are cheap if
you've got the slot space available.