Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:30:46 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Stefan Molnar <stefan@csudsu.com>
Cc:        Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, <kris@obsecurity.org>, <mwlist@lanfear.com>, <freebsd@sysmach.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Stefan Molnar wrote:

> What AMD did to get RISC86 was to buy NextGen.   NextGen was a company
> in the mid/early 90s that devloped a new cpu that openly stated they
> converted "icky" CISC to "ohhh yeah" RISC.  It had a few design issues.
>
> 	- Needed it's own Motherboard (very very odd layout)
> 	- Needed it's own Northbridge
> 	- You could buy it with and without a FPU
>
> AMD bought NextGen, and used their knowlage of the x86, intel chipsets,
> and Socket 7 layout and design and shoved the NextGen core and bits
> into a Socket 7 Package.  Thus the K6 was born

	I know AMD bought NextGen when AMD had the K5 and NextGen had
their 5x86 but didn't AMD also brought the Chief Engineer at Intel who
designed the Pentium to AMD to create the K6?

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin