Date:      Mon, 05 Apr 1999 21:56:38 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Walt Roberts <wroberts@med.wayne.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP thin Enet and Micros**T Win98

You have to install the tcp/ip protocol from start>control
panel>network. You can talk at this point. If you don't have dhcp,
create a hosts file with your ip addresses in your windows\system
directory.

One thing you need to run is sfc and checkpoint your win98 files.

Kent

Walt Roberts wrote:

> I am very sorry to trouble this list with this problem, but I'm at
> Witt's End.  We have a single MS-Win98 system for doing things the hard
> way, mainly due to the software investment.  This system was running
> Win95 until it crashed, burned and was salvaged by installing Win98.
> Data is back, life is almost good.  We can't go back to 95 due to
> corrupt registries and other bad things.
>
> Problem:
> We need to talk to the FreeBSD 2.2.2 systems on the thin ethernet.
> Win98 took this away from us.  (We have a work around -- dial in and use
> sz/rz, or ppp -direct but this is hokey and it's tying up phone lines).
>
> FreeBSD box is properly configured and is assigned pvt address
> 192.168.1.1, no DNS or other stuff to get in the way.  Besides, its run
> for over 200 days without a glitch 24/7 no reboots and it talks to
> others (VAX/VMS -- yup we still use it).
>
> Win98 box is Via 503+/AMDk6/65 Mb mem. SMC EZcard 10 with SMC drivers
> (and who knows what other stuff MS shoved down its throat.)
>
> 1. If I ping the PC (192.168.1.100/mask 255.255.255.0) it talks to
> itself.
> 2.  SMC drivers and debugers say the card works and is happy.
> 3.  If I ping the FreeBSD box, I get request timeout.
> 4.  If I ping the PC from the FreeBSD box, it reports 100% packet loss.
> 5.  SMC doesn't supply a UNIX program to test transnetwork operations,
> and I don't have/don't want to make another windows box to try their
> stuff, besides it worked before and the appropriate lights light up on
> the cards at ping time.
>
> If anybody can point me in the right direction, since Microsoft's stock
> response is call your vendor and their response is call Microsoft, I
> would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Walt Roberts
> wroberts@med.wayne.edu

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html