Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 17:09:29 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kernel support for keyboards

> As Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
>
> > No comments from the FreeBSD core tem in 48 hours. Maybe that's too early.
>
> I'd rather interpret it as ``if you come up with something reasonable,
> it's ok''.
>
> > ! #define CPU_KEYMAP		5	/* struct: keymap */
>
> I have a problem with this one: we've got two different supported
> console drivers, and both use a fairly different internal keymap.  Do
> you really need it for anything?

Do I need it? No, I don't need it at all. (I'm perfectly happy to just
edit my XF86Config file. :-P)

Seems to me that there's enough similarity between keymaps, keymap names,
and keyboard types that if I'm going to augment sysctl to do keymap names
and keyboard types, that I might as well do the keymap too.

Looks to me like pcvt only has GIO_KEYMAP, whereas syscons has both
PIO_KEYMAP and GIO_KEYMAP. Doesn't look to me like kbdcontrol knows the
difference between syscons and pcvt. Looks to me like it's just going
print the error and exit if you try to set the keymap w/ pcvt.

It seems like it might be easy enough to have sysctl mimic what the
console driver does with the ioctl. I'll revisit it again and send a
new patch.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY