Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 12:23:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [fbsd-isp] Designing for a very large ISP

Recently Stephen D. Spencer said:
> On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Lukas Wunner wrote:

> I will put in an anti-plug for SGI machines as internet servers:  for base
> price + cost of "approved SGI hardware" + price of the C compiler (so one
> can compile updated ip servers such as INND, BIND, Sendmail, popper,
> etc...) + time required to vodoo the said software into compiling on Irix
> 6.x, we could have purchased a seperate PC to receive news for each of the
> major seven usenet trees.

It all depends on what you want to do.   SGI is damned expensive,
but a company I work for just bought two SGI Challenge's at
bargains basement prices.   No way would we have paid list for
them.

These people at one time were an SGI dealer, and even at dealer
prices the pieces are expensive.

> I've had aweful 3rd party vendor support for
> extra equipment (had a 4 gig external die on our Indy running INND and
> found out that it costs $400 (non refundable) for Falcon (an approved SGI
> 3rd party drive vendor) to drop ship a new drive.  "Approved" 3rd party
> (kingston) 32 meg SIMMs cost around $280 a piece)

If you are out of warrany or buy used, then you don't have to put
any approved hardware on the system.

> Hmmm... when was the last time you had to reload/configure an IRIX system?

Once about 3 months ago when the boot drive died.  Again 3 weeks
ago on the (above) used system.  It took me quite awhile to find
the magic incantation to run FX from the CD, depending on HW
platform.  The last time was because 2 of the 3 HDs we bought in
the used system were dead.  (Price was so good that was not a
problem).

> I would suggest looking into a high-performance server system (Sun or DEC
> Alpha) running Open or NetBSD if you're concerned with fancy hardware.
> Otherwise, do lots of research into PC hardware and accept the fact that
> you will have a few more machines laying about.  You might also want to
> contact someone at Walnut creek to inquire about their hardware.

We're only going to be running catalog on the SGI's and run the
normal web serving from the FreeBSD.

--
bill@bilver.magicnet.net | bill@bilver.com