Date:      18 Aug 1995 14:33:10 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd

j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) writes:

>As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>>
>> The biggest difference I can see is that 2.2 supports some sort of
>> compression called "BSD-compress", whatever the heck that is..

>Ain't this the ``predictor 1'' compression?  Would be nice to have it.

No.  It's a compress(1) modified to run as a data stream.  Considering
that v42bis is a similar routine, and most modems only do 11 bit
compression, and this code can do up to 15 bits (if you are prepared
to allocate 64K of kernel memory for the tables), it has been
demonstrated to cause significant performance boosts (and,
suprisingly, latency drops.)

A 14.4K modem with compression off will typically do something in the
order of 180ms ping times.  When youy enable v42bis, that typically
goes up by 40ms.  I believe I have saved a copy of an article from the
ppp mailing list where the rtt went *down* when kernel compression was
enabled, and the actual cpu overhead was reduced, with the cost of
compression being less than the cost of the serial IO that was reduced.

-Peter