Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 12:01:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Continuing ahc problems - also cause fxp failure

:>    This is getting weirder and weirder.
:>
:>    4.2 or 4.3-RC
:>	AHC failure once or twice a month (as previously posted last month)
:>	FXP Ethernet (appeared to be) working perfectly
:>
:>    RELENG_4	(After Justin's adaptec fix)
:>	FXP failure	one week       (old FXP driver)
:>	FXP failure	the next week  (old FXP driver)
:>	FXP *and* AHC failures tonight (new FXP driver)
:
:Any chance you can use remote syslog or serial console to better
:capture the messages?  Can you also tell me the PCI rev of the
:aic7890 (pciconf -l should provide this)?
:
:--
:Justin

    I will buy a null-modem cable and hook the serial port up to another
    box in the rack.  I gave you the meat but I realize it wasn't as complete
    as it could be.

    Oh yah, one thing I forgot... the machine was locked up for an hour
    before I got to the office.  When I got the office the console was
    still producing periodic failure messages for both fxp0 and ahc0,
    and I could break into the debugger.  So I am certain that it isn't
    a memory issue or anything like.  The fact that *both* fxp0 and ahc0
    died should be telling.

						-Matt

pciconf -l
chip0@pci0:0:0:	class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x00091166 rev=0x05 hdr=0x00