Date:      Sun, 05 Jan 2020 23:10:45 +0100
From:      Peter <peter@citylink.dinoex.sub.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ZFS and power management

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 17:22:16 +0100, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone has come up with a way to do this...
>
> I have a system here that has two pools -- one comprised of SSD disks
> that are the "most commonly used" things including user home directories
> and mailboxes, and another that is comprised of very large things that
> are far less-commonly used (e.g. video data files, media, build
> environments for various devices, etc.)

I'm using such a configuration for more than 10 years already, and didn't
perceive the problems You describe.
Disks are powered down with gstopd or other means, and they stay powered
down until filesystems in the pool are actively accessed.
A difficulty for me was that postgres autovacuum must be completeley
disabled if there are tablespaces on the quiesced pools. Another thing
that comes to mind is smartctl in daemon mode (but I never used that).
There are probably a whole bunch more of potential culprits, so I suggest
You work thru all the housekeeping stuff (daemons, cronjobs, etc.) to find
it.