Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 23:50:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Matt=20Sykes?= <mattmsykes@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster Live! or PCI512 help

 --- Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net> wrote: >    I have a
SoundBlaster PCI512 -- which, I've read, is essentially

> the same as a Live! card.  I can't get mine to make a sound in
> FBSD.
> (Sings like a canary in m$, so I know it works...)  If you're
> familiar with getting either (PCI512 or Live!) card working and
> have
> spotted anything I've missed or screwed up, I'd love to hear from
> you.  I have been searching the FBSD site and Googling the web (oh,

I have problems with my SB Live card.

emu10k isn't working very well in FreeBSD (4.5-stable).

Check out the problem reports, search for 'emu10k'.  I even followed
up on one of them.

As others have suggested esound works well -- in fact mp3s sound
fairly good with xmms-esound (not great though).

But wav files are cut off with popping noises, and without esound
wav files are completely hosed.

I hear -current has some or all of these problems solved though.