Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 18:22:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IP tunnels ? once again probably

*sigh* I tried now so many things, but it just doesn't work or are terrible
hacks. Following situation:

Host A has two ethernets and a 24 hour connection to the Internet. It uses
natd/ipfirewall/ipdivert to masq/firewall. The IP number on the public side
is static.

Then there are several other hosts, all have 1 ethernet and 1 modem and are
also running natd/ipfirewall/ipdivert and use pppd to dialup to a provider,
using dynamic IPs.

So far, so good, everything works fine. Now I need to connect the offsite
hosts via an ip tunnel to the main location. The offsite has to start
the tunnel, as it has a dynamic address on the public. I tried several
things with ppp, iptunnel (2 different ones) and ssh, but all are not stable
nor user friendly.

Has anyone come up with something simular ? Any pointers ?

Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
Alameda Networks, Inc. | http://www.Alameda.net  | Fax#: 510-521-5073