Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2019 12:43:05 -0800
From:      Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@freebsd.org>
Cc:        cem@freebsd.org, Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden@gmail.com>, net@freebsd.org, wollman@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 240/4

list:

I'm focused on technical feasibility only at the moment and getting
ready for a "moonshot" talk at netdevconf march 21st , and I'd while
I'd dearly appreciate folk trying some "interesting" patches and
providing feedback
(https://github.com/dtaht/ipv4-cleanup/tree/master/patches ) am
totally not prepared to talk about operational or deployment issues
for a while. We have a FAQ partially written... I'm painfully aware of
most of the arguments...

(I kind of expect those issues to dominate the conversations, and I'd
rather just patch and test things for a while, and get more people to
think deeply about the technical issues with *running code* at hand)

yesterday... logan got ahold of our abstract (
https://netdevconf.org/0x13/session.html?talk-ipv4-unicast-expansions
) and a few hours later, figured out how to apply the ideas to the
freebsd codebase and tested them, then submitted this first patch....
That's *awesome*! but I fear the headline 240/4 thing will obscure the
other things like cleaning up and compressing ipv4 allocations a
little bit better (like zeroth networking, and so on) in all the
codebases in the world, that we're also attempting.

Of interest perhaps, are the threads on the internet history mailing list.

http://mailman.postel.org/pipermail/internet-history/2019-February/thread.html