Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2017 14:57:56 -0800
From:      Ngie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jim Rowan <jmr@computing.com>,  "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: TravisCI vs BuildBot vs Bamboo vs Jenkins

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:
> I think I need to emphasize more that the key feature for me is Github
> integration.  I want to use one of these tools with a project that is
> hosted in Github.  It's not my project, so I can't move it even if I
> wanted to.  WJW's example gets half of the integration I would like;
> he shows how Jenkins can pull information out of Github.  But it
> doesn't show how to push information back into Github.  Does anybody
> have any examples of using Jenkins, Bamboo, Buildbot etc to push build
> pass/fail notifications back into Github?

Having seen other integrations done, I think Buildbot/TravisCI are the
most functional builder types out of the box with GitHub, but as you
noted before, getting them to work with FreeBSD requires jumping
through hoops.

Here are some notes I found quickly with GitHub/Jenkins integration:
https://jenkins.io/solutions/github/ .

Personally, I don't care for the flat text file format with Jenkins
for the following reasons:

1. It doesn't scale longterm, in particular it requires data retention
policies/pruning to ensure that you don't slow down your Jenkins
master too much with data.
2. IIRC writing the results/config isn't atomic.
3. Backups are harder to deal with.
4. Job files/templates a more painful to deal with, depending on how
you design the Jenkins jobs.

IMHO, it was a mistake I think for the Jenkins folks to not implement
more intelligent database backends and storage methods for the logs.

Also, Jenkins loves RAM (#thanksJava).

Otherwise, I think Jenkins is fine for most tasks.

My 2 cents,
-Ngie