Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 1997 14:08:03 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        tqbf@enteract.com
Cc:        karl@mcs.net, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6+++: crt0.c CRITICAL CHANGE

>>    The problem is fixed in all of our source branches by removing the support
>> for PATH_LOCALE. It was there only as a debugging aid in the first place.

>> how. It's not as simple as you might first think and we don't won't to
>> provide dis-information to the public about this problem.
>
>I believe "remove PATH_LOCALE support" has been my suggestion from the
>start, so I'll disagree and say that it was exactly as simple as I first
>thought. Thank you for your work on this problem, I look forward to the
>announcement.

   Yes, I personally didn't see that suggestion, but nonetheless, it took a
little time to see through the dozens of suggested fixes and decide on the
right one. An announcement will be out as soon as we decide on the final
wording (almost there).
   I don't like how this whole mess has come down. There is an awful lot of
ill-will being passed out that will have long term ramifications. It didn't
need to happen this way.

-DG

David Greenman