Date:      Wed, 3 May 2006 21:19:59 -0400
From:      "Robert Wojciechowski" <robertw@ssginnovations.com>
To:        "Doug Ambrisko" <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, oleg@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: IPMI and bge (again)

> Could you try this latest version.  It incorporates Oleg
> change sort-of.  It was a good hint.  The issue is that
> we can't move the detection after the "reset" dance.  Since
> it needs to know if ASF is active.  What we can do is just
> do the bge_reset, look for ASF and then do the dance.  This
> works really well and I makes the PHY probe work without the
> one remaining hack that I had left and I was able to get rid
> of a couple more hacks.
>=20
> This applies to RELENG_6.
>=20
> Please let me know how this works.  I'd like to commit
> this.  Please pay attention to if IPMI works before the
> NIC is UP/or has an IP and then when it is ifconfig down
> then up again.  The PHY should be detected at brgphy
> and not the generic one.  It should also have all of the
> proper speeds.  It should work with and without PXE boot.
> Finally non-IPMI ones should work.
>=20
> So far it works on the variants I have.
>=20

Doug,

I tried your patch (as well as one from you on 1/13/2006) on FreeBSD
6.1-RC2 but experienced hard lockups. It happens during startup right
after setting the hostname, right before it would normally bring up the
interface I believe.

This is on four different servers, all Supermicro motherboards (H8DAR
and H8DAE) based on the Broadcom BCM5704 chip.

Here is the pciconf -lv:

bge0@pci2:3:0:  class=3D0x020000 card=3D0x164815d9 chip=3D0x164814e4 =
rev=3D0x10
hdr=3D0x00
    vendor   =3D 'Broadcom Corporation'
    device   =3D 'BCM5704 NetXtreme Dual Gigabit Adapter'
    class    =3D network
    subclass =3D ethernet
bge1@pci2:3:1:  class=3D0x020000 card=3D0x164815d9 chip=3D0x164814e4 =
rev=3D0x10
hdr=3D0x00
    vendor   =3D 'Broadcom Corporation'
    device   =3D 'BCM5704 NetXtreme Dual Gigabit Adapter'
    class    =3D network
    subclass =3D Ethernet

Any ideas? If you need any more information or have other patches I can
test for you, let me know!

-- Robert