Date:      Fri, 08 Feb 2002 16:56:37 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        anthony@freebie.atkielski.com, wenninger@cox-internet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Breaking permissions on Windows 2000 (Server Edition)

> > No, but I trust the source code.
>
>How can you trust the source code, but not the people who wrote it?

I don't see the two as being related. I'm sure that the major FreeBSD
programmers are great people, but what does ones personal trustworthiness
have to do with the trustworthiness of their products? Their code?
I may not know/trust the baker at Jack's Bagel Bistro in Santa Barbara,
CA--but that doesn't mean that I can't trust the bagels--especially if I can
see the ingredients and make sure there are no bugs in the flower and
whatnot (which I can't do at the bagel place, but can do withopen source)
Cheesy example, I know. :-)

> > Trust, but verify.
>
>Verification is not a practical goal when millions of lines of code are
>involved.

One needn't verify the entire thing. I can be reasonably sure that the IDE
driver isn't going to open a hole on my all-SCSI server. If I am building a
webserver, say, and will have the user sending alot of data to me--I can
check myself if bounds checking takes place in the appropriate areas. I may
have to sift through some unrealated code, but that's alright.
I can also use an open source server built with Java, SML, or even C# which
make problems like buffer overflows nearly impossible to do accidentally.
With a binary only program, I cannot do that.

> > Age old tactic.  Not possible with windows.
>
>And not practical with FreeBSD.  There could be a hundred Trojan horses in
>the code and you'd never know it, even though you have all the source code.

Impractical, which it will not always be, is better than impossible, no?
Note that while keeping in mind the security record of Microsoftware.
Compare Exchange Server with Qmail or Postfix, for example.

> > You can IF you can code.
>
>No, even if you can code, you cannot.  Too much code, too little time, and
>typically no documentation.  I've actually had to do this sort of thing,
>and
>unless you can afford to dedicate your life to verifying the code of an
>operating system, having the source provides you with no guarantees at all

Usually it is the applications and not the OS with the majority of the
exploits, but your point still stands.
Note that OpenBSD and FreeBSD code (both of which have overlap) is
frequently audited. I doubt that the auditors (who are great people for
doing something so boring, BTW) dedicate their lives to auditing. It is part
of the "more eyes" approach. If even 1% of the users of a network app study
the code, which is very conservative considering the average Unix user,
that's quite a few people who can notice a potential bug. It works. Most of
the bugs found are never actually exploited and are generally never even
tested. I remember a year or two ago, an individual volunteered to audit
Samba and found (I believe it was) 3 possible security exploits. These were
fixed before they were ever taken advantage of.  At a commercial software
company, these would likely have remained until they were discovered by less
friendly folk.

> > I'm respected in this business.
>
>So is Microsoft.

Depends on who you ask. :-)

> > I even support and code for Microsoft platforms.
>
>So do several million other people.
>
> > I don't even require companies to use ONLY me,
> > or purposely write code that makes it harder
> > for other programmers to work with.
>
>I don't know anyone who does.
>
> > Buyer beware.
>
>Buyer satisfied.

It was noted earlier that Microsoft's "toy" products are used in several
production environments. This is certainly true. Many of these production
environments have admins that regret the Microsoft decision, and of course
there are many that are perfectly happy (though they tend to be the ones
that have never used anything else, expect perhaps Novell). The INEEL (Idaho
National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory) for example. They
switched to NT from Irix and Solaris boxes in the mid 90s and, within 2
years, they switched to Linux systems. The MS SQL servers couldn't handle
the load when certain types of queries were used, the boxes crashed (on
average) monthly, and of course the licensing for the software was a big
turnoff.
I am sure that there are horror stories of using Unix and then the world
became perfect when a Windows switch was made. <shrug>. I said earlier, OSes
are tools and nothing more. I have found that Windows is a mediocre server
platform but a good desktop platform, and I have found the opposite to be
true of Unix. Whichever works best for the job.