Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:55:39 +0200
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        Martin Lozada <martin.lozada@iac.unibe.ch>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disappointed with FreeBSD 4.6

On Thu August 22 2002 14:51, Martin Lozada wrote:
> Dear Poeple,
>
> I installed FreeBSD 4.6 on my computer few days ago. I chose as desktop
> Gnome+sawfish. No problems during the installation but after it began
> the nightmare. I finally got running startx and what I got was a gnome
> desktop without icons . Nautilus didn't start, due to an unexpected
> error. The error has to do with OAF. I think it's just the beginning.  =
> think I wait for a better version of FreeBSD before performing a new
> installation.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin L.

and your question was?......

but seriously, I have been running freebsd on my laptops / desktops and=20
servers for a number of years and any problems caused have almost invaria=
by=20
been generated by the person sitting behind the keyboard ;-0.

Fings wot I have learnt when installing FreeBSD for the first time.

1) do a clean ABSOLUTELY minimal install
2) cvsup (ports and system)
3) rebuild world
4) start adding ports

This has resulted in troublefree installations for me=20

oh and never never ever install gnome......=20

/ducks and runs for cover