Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 13:28:05 -0400
From:      media@ct1.nai.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SuperProbe??

I have FreeBSD installed on an 133 Pentium (Compaq Deskpro 4000) with both
built-in (factory) video and a Jaton Video-107PCI card installed.

This is not merely an Xfree86 issue.  I am having display problems from the
command-line shell.  For example, the screen saver does not work.  After
the specified time of inactivity, it clicks, the monitor reports a signal
error, it clicks again, and the screen goes black.

When I run SuperProbe it says:

First Video Super-VGA
Chipset:  Trident GUI 9420 Port Probed
Memory:  256 Kbytes
RAMDAC:  Trident Built-In
        15/16/24-bit DAC
  (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))

This has me a bit confused.  This computer, upon start-up, has only
starting announcing that it has a "Trident 3D Display" since I added the
Jaton card, and Windows has previously labeled the built-in (factory) video
as Cirrus (8514?? I don't have Windows running in front of me).  So this
would lead me to believe to believe that the above is a description of the
Jaton card.  However, the Jaton card is 8M not 256K.

I've tried setting SuperProbe to -no_bios, but it didn't make any
difference.  Any ideas??

On a related note, where can I go for information on how to edit the CMOS
in order to completely disable hardware I'm not using??  Is there BIOS
editing software for either MS-DOS or FreeBSD??  I've tried several key
combinations upon start-up, but nothing I tried has worked.

THANX!!