Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 16:40:21 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How about building modules along with the kernel?

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> I think having *our* boot loader grok *other* OS's is a little silly.
This isn't about the OS. It is about the FS.
We already support a number of FS and can boot from many of them.

> They have their own boot loaders :)
It's not a question of booting MSDOS from a UFS disk, we already can boot
MSDOS from a FAT disk.(to the extent that we call "their" loader from our
multi-boot front end.

The question has to do with the set of file systems that are acceptable for
our root. On dual boot machines and removable media, we already support
file systems that were not in the earlier Unix(tm) systems. As additional
file systems become available, will we attempt to boot from them?

For example, there are file systems that are explicitly designed for flash
modules. It might be very nice to load the system from such a device.

At the same time, the logic of the loader is becoming more complex.
I think that it is appropriate to consider a "modularization" that separates
the OS format from the FS format.