Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:40:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <crouilla@ucsd.edu>
To:        Eddie Irvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
Cc:        "Oke M. Ramdan" <ramdan@iname.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is NE2000 compatible PCI network card unsupported ?

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Eddie Irvine wrote:

> Chuck Rouillard wrote:
> >
> > [chop]
> > > This is wierd. I have several NE2000 compatible cards on my
> > > PCI bus and they work fine (ed driver). But I also have a NE2000
> > > card on the ISA bus as well.

> > In either case(PCI/ISA), its the 'ed' driver.  In my experience, the
> > NE2000 driver uses ed0 and ed1 for ISA(exclusively?) and ed2 and ed3
> > for PCI(exclusively?).  To get my 2.2.5 boxen up with 2 PCI variants,
> > I needed to add two lies for ed0 *and* ed1 *without* any options set
> > for either.  The driver then lookes for PCI cards and finds them.
>
> Well, I've just got NE2000 10Mbit cards:
>
> 	ed0	ISA
> 	ed1	PCI
> 	ed2	PCI
>
> And only the ed0 device in the kernel config file.
>
> I'd be interested to know if anyone has got a NE2000 10/100Mbit PCI card
> to work correctly in the 100Mbit mode, and what the speeds are like...
>
> Eddie.

1. In my experience, the 3 card config will work *if* you put
   in a 'dummy' definition for ed1.  For example,

device ed0   /* all *your* ISA config stuff here */
device ed1   /* Nothing here! Dummy device!   */

    I haven't mixed ISA/PCI NE2000 cards on BSD before, but this
    appears correct from similar experience.  The two PCI cards
    *should* get autoprobed as ed2 and ed3.

2. As someone pointed out earlier, there was no such NE2000 with
   100Mbit capabilities.  The original Novell Eagle series cards
   were 10Mbit/ISA.  Consequently, unless there is a *special*
   driver offered by the manufacturer of *your* cards to run at
   100Mbit, you are out of luck.  Of course, in 100Mbit mode, we
   no longer have an NE-2000.

-Chuck