Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 01:57:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        ipver4 <ipver4@hotmail.com>
Cc:        paul+usenet@w6yx.stanford.edu, <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: TCP Timestamp option?

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, ipver4 wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> It seems since version 4.4 that kernel net.inet.tcp.rfc1323 is set to 1 by
> default, thus causing all the TCP connections to use the RFC1323 extension.
>
> The effects are:
>
> 1. bigger TCP header.
> 2. more processing time at sending and receiving hosts.
> 3. VJ TCP/IP header compression algorithm does not compress most of the
> time.
>
> I am not sure turning on the RFC1323 support on by default is such a good
> idea.

The added amount of time and data is insignificant with today's computers
on today's networks.  At the same time, the reality of 32 bit sequence
numbers being relatively small and timestamps being needed to track
wraparound is setting in.  Although we don't use the various rfc 1323
options to their full extent yet, keeping them enabled is a good idea in
the long run.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack