Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2012 14:41:21 +1000
From:      "Dewayne Geraghty" <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        "'Tom Uffner'" <tom@uffner.com>, <dinoex@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Upgrading Base System openssl

Tom,
The easiest (obvious?) way I could find, is to
cd /usr/ports/security/openssl && make PREFIX=/usr

Note that this will also place, and look for openssl.cnf in /usr/openssl.

This will bump your version of /lib/libcryto.so and others so be prepared
to rebuild quite a few things, including openssh, sendmail, cyrus-sasl,
expat, perl, php5, apache ...etc.  I used to build the base system
WITHOUT_CRYPT= but geli, which I use, requires some headers from openssl to
compile.

Regards, Dewayne.