Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 20:33:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange reboot saga

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Alberto de Poo Bas wrote:

> You usualy see a lot of this "ME TOO!" mails, but no one knows realy how
> many are having this problem.
Well, let's start with a "me too" too...

I had the reboot problem about two weeks ago: sudden freezing, reboot, no
log message... about 7 or 8 times in one week. It started after going from
2.2.8 to 3.1R. When I CVSUPped from 3.1Release to Stable, I realized that
I did something wrong when I compiled my 3.1R kernel: I simply copied my
2.2.8 config file instead of starting out with the GENERIC config file...
so in 3.1-Stable I compiled with a config based on the GENERIC provided
with 3.1-Stable. I didn't have a reboot anymore since I'm running that
kernel, the machine is up now for 6 days.

Comparing an old kernel (2.2.x) config with the GENERIC from 3.1, I saw
that the options FFS_ROOT, MFS_ROOT and NFS_ROOT are not present in the
2.2.x config file. Since FFS_ROOT is marked with "[keep this!]" I suppose
it's very important. I don't know exactly what is the impact of omitting
this option, but could it have something to do with the mysterious
reboots??

I didn't look yet for more differences...

	Regards,
		Karel.