Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:20:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ady@earthling.net
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The false typo & SMP kernel problem

>   Even WORSE: copied the GENERIC file and just made slight adjustements
> for my system (like disabling other SCSI controllers/Network cards than
> mine) and with NO SMP options and the same result:
>   #ps
>   ps: proc size mismatch (17280 total, 632 chunks)
>   #netstat
>   ???
>   netstat: kvm_read: Bad address
>   [....]
>   [ totally wrong output ]
>   [....]

The kernel structure sizes have changed, and kernel data is exported (via
libkvm) as an interface.  You will need to recompile /sys/libkern and
/usr/src/lib/libkvm, and potentially all utilities like 'ps', 'w',
'netstat', 'ifconfig', 'vmstat', etc. which rely on likkvm.

If you have just moved to 3.x from a 2.x kernel, then you will have to
rebuild libc as well to get the popen changes and the newgetvfsbyname()
system call used by mount and similar utilities.

Before you do this, you will need to rebuild crt0.o so that the
set_startup_locale (or something like that) crap doesn't bite you, and
that means rebuilding all the compilation tools to rebuild ld to
rebuild crt0.

This takes about twice as much disk as it used to because the way the
GNU stuff has been moved around to contrib (as if it weren't under GPL
now, or some such nonsense).

Then you will need to rebuild mount, etc., so that it calls the new
calls.