Date:      14 Sep 2002 18:30:06 -0700
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Port Mgr <portmgr@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bash2 ports

On Sat, 2002-09-14 at 17:01, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 04:27:52PM -0400, Alan E wrote:
> > I am currently hosting the bash2 port files on
> > 	http://people.freebsd.org/~alane/bash2/
> > but do not wish to do so indefinitely.
> >
> > The default ipfw firewall and inetd configuration will not allow
> > fetching the files for this port, due to the policies of the master
> > hosting site.
>
> What are the policies of the master hosting site?  Has anyone emailed
> Chet (bash2 author) to try to determine why they have trouble fetching
> the bash2 patches?
>
> I run "options IPFIREWALL" in my kernel with a modified "simple"
> rc.firewall type (kept existing rules and added more).  I have *ZERO*
> problems fetching the bash2 patch files from ftp.cwru.edu.
>

> > I find this to be an intolerable situation, and either we need to modify
> > our shipped inetd.conf and rc.firewall to accomodate this port (hahaha)
> > or we need to find a permanent home on a freebsd server for its files.
>
> FreeBSD doesn't enable ipfw firewall by default.  So I don't know what
> you are talking about.

I'm wondering if it could be an upstream problem.  Effectively, all my
traffic goes up/down the University of Idaho system.  Even with an OPEN
firewall configuration (which I don't dare leave for very long given the
number of undergraduate "script kiddies") I'm unable to download the
patch.  I've even enabled full auth services on my computer, and netstat
-a shows a connection to my auth services, but the connection is still
being timed out on the server end.

This makes me wonder if anything significant is getting through
University of Idaho (the main server runs WinDoze 2000).  Obviously, I
can't affect their policies, and the fact remains that I can't download
the patch for love or money.

jmc
--
         _
  | |V| / '                       ||  MacroHard --                   \
\_| | | \_,                       ||     the perfection of form over |
----------------------------------||     substance, marketing over   |
Web:  http://www.borgsdemons.com  ||     performance, and greed over |
AIM:  johnmcooper                 ||     design . . .                |
Yahoo:  john_m_cooper             ||                                 |